Monday, January 10, 2011

Spinach and Arugula Salad with Oranges, Cranberries, Walnuts and Goat Cheese

Happy Meatless Monday everyone! It sure is a tired Monday for me, as I am still recovering from a weekend trip to NYC for a reunion with my college roommates, which was so much fun.. probably too much fun :-).  Though I often dread going back to school or work on Mondays, I really do treat Mondays as an opportunity to get back on track and start the week off on a good note; so no matter what happened during my weekend or the previous week, Monday brings a fresh start and a new set of goals to achieve. That is what I find so great about Meatless Monday- it is one simple goal you can set for yourself each and every week to kick start your health habits and even your creativity. Okay- that's enough ranting about Meatless Monday.. but seriously, if you haven't gotten on board yet, it's never too late to try it out! And if you already are a Meatless Monday fanatic like moi, then keep up the good work and spread the word!

So how about a nice, seasonal salad recipe for today? I'm definitely feeling in need of a healthy salad after overindulging myself this weekend (why are NY bagels so amazing?!).  I know winter is usually the time for soups, stews and lots of heavily cooked, warming foods; but it's nice to mix things up every once in a while and to eat a cold, uncooked, loaded green salad.  I made this salad with some spinach and arugula from the farmers' market, which you should still be able to find this time of year; and I added a fresh orange, some dried cranberries, walnuts, goat cheese and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette (you'll never need to store-bought dressing again once you realize how easy and tasty homemade dressings can be.. without all the added chemical preservatives, emulsifiers and stabilizers, etc) for a really flavorful and satisfying stand-alone salad.  This salad is packed full of important vitamins and nutrients, fiber and good fats to help boost your immune system and keep you sick-free all winter long.  Feel free to be creative and add in whatever veggies, nuts and fruits you have on hand!

SPINACH & ARUGULA SALAD WITH ORANGES, CRANBERRIES, WALNUTS, GOAT CHEESE & A HOMEMADE BALSAMIC DIJON VINAIGRETTE 


For the Salad- Mix together: 
1 big handful of mixed spinach and arugula (or any mixed salad greens), washed and dried 
1 orange, peeled and cut into big chunks
Sprinkle of dried cranberries
Sprinkle of chopped walnuts (pine nuts, almonds, or pecans would also be good)
1-2 Tblsp of goat cheese, crumbled

For the vinaigrette- Combine to taste: 
~1 Tblsp dijion mustard
~1 tsp honey or agave syrup
~1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 
~1 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt/pepper and any other herbs or spices you wish. So easy, so good! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally digging this one too! need to try this for my lunch salad. nice NYC trip shoutout -- ahhh so fun.

    ReplyDelete