Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Kale, White Bean and Tomato Soup

As much as I love making soups in the crock pot, sometimes I just don't plan well enough to get everything into the pot in the morning to have it ready when I get home.  So, on those days when I am really craving a warm bowl of soup, but it isn't waiting for me ready in the crock pot, I want something that I can throw together really quickly. I know it can be tempting to just grab can of pre-made soup from your pantry and throw a bowl of it into the microwave, but nothing can beat the taste and satisfaction of a bowl of homemade soup, especially if it can be made in less than 30minutes. This Kale, White Bean and Tomato soup is a deliciously hearty, seasonal, and healthy dish for this time of year as the nights get colder and all we want to do is curl up in a blanket with a bowl of soup. That is surely what I did last night; so much for getting any school work done! It was well worth it though, and I even had plenty of leftovers that I froze so that I can savor this soup all throughout the cold season.

KALE, WHITE BEAN, AND TOMATO SOUP


Ingredients:
1 tblsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 medium carrot, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bunch of kale (any kind will do), washed and chopped
2 15oz cans of organic, diced, no-salt added tomatoes
~2 cups (or 1 can) navy beans (or any white bean)
4-5 cups Vegetable (or chicken) stock, low sodium
Salt and pepper to taste
~ 2tsp each of dried Oregano & Thyme

Directions
1. In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic and carrot in olive oil on medium heat until soft, about 5min.
2. Add the kale, tomatoes (with liquid), beans, stock, and salt/pepper/herbs. Stir everything together.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 25-30minutes until flavors are well-incorporated and kale is soft. Add additional seasonings to taste.  ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment