Still recovering from Halloween weekend and craving anything but sweets, I decided to make a quick, easy and uber-healthy one-pot dish for dinner tonight; and it can be summed up in three of my favorite words: Greens, beans and grains. Let me expound upon each of these so you can understand my obsession with this combination as a weeknight go-to meal.
GREENS- By greens, I am referring to any of the dark, leafy greens that typically are cooked before eating: collards, kale, turnip, mustards, etc. You have most definitely heard this before, but let me tell you again that dark, leafy greens are nutritional powerhouses that should be added to everyone's diet! They are packed with all sorts of nutrients, including calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamins A, C, E, and K, fiber and many more. There are numerous studies in the scientific literature reporting the health benefits of eating this food, particularly their role in the prevention of cancer. Greens are widely available this time of year in farmers' markets and they are delicious when sauteed up with some onions, garlic and olive oil.
BEANS- I could go on all day about why beans and legumes should be a staple in everyone's diet. They are not only an excellent source of important nutrients and are well-known to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancers; but they are inexpensive, filling, easy to prepare and they come in all sorts of varieties. Beans are a great and extremely satisfying meat substitute, as they are packed with protein and high in fiber. I am a big proponent of dried beans, which take a little bit of extra time to prepare, but it's totally worth it and you don't have to worry about the high sodium or potential BPA contamination from canned beans (but I do understand how convenient canned beans can be). I usually just make a big pot of beans over the weekend and savor them in many different ways throughout the week.
GRAINS- Last but not least, I turn to grains to complete this wonderful combination of nutrient-packed, satisfying foods. We've all heard it over and over, but let me just emphasize that whole grains are a crucial part of a healthy diet. Whole grains are complex carbohydrates that, unlike processed or refined sources of carbohydrates, retain more B vitamins, vitamin E and all the fiber. There are so many different varieties that are becoming more and more available in supermarkets, so don't be afraid to try something new. I am a huge fan of brown rice, whole wheat couscous, quinoa, amaranth, and barley, though the lists goes on and on, and even I am still trying new kinds! Like beans, I usually make a huge pot of grains to have for the week to use in a variety of dishes- such a time saver during the busy week.
GREEN, BEANS AND GRAINS
I could go on and on about these three foods, but I'll spare you and just say that ANY combination of them can be thrown together for a delicious, quick, easy, satisfying, and extremely nutritious meal. Today I happen to have on hand some collard greens, black eyed peas, and brown rice, so that's what I threw together. Simply sautee the chopped up greens with some garlic, onions, and olive oil until well-softened and then add cooked beans and grains along with some spices of you choice. Again, be creative and try new combinations to keep things interesting, fun and tasty! ENJOY!
No comments:
Post a Comment